Sunday, 15 July 2012

GRAB 'EM BY THE THROAT



Blurbs, I suspect, are notoriously difficult to get right. You want to give a sense of the book’s style, genre, its essence. You want to pique readers’ interest with a summary that’s compelling, evocative and informative, without giving too much away. They’re very different creatures to synopses, though each may contain aspects of the other. Together with the title and cover, the blurb is the first sense the reader gets of a book. It had better be good.

So here’s what my publisher has come up with for my debut novel, out next spring. I rather like it. What do you think?

7 comments:

JO said...

Great blurb - and a great picture. There's an almost identical tree in Yorkshire, on the moors - that wonderful bleakness reinforces the remoteness of the novel. The best of luck with this.

Tania Hershman said...

Very good blurb! Can't wait for the book....!

TOM VOWLER said...

Thanks Jo, thanks Tania.

Paul said...

I'll be purchasing my copy!

Karen said...

I want to read it! Job done :o)

Emma said...

Hecky thump, not only can I not wait to read, but I'm a teeny bit petrified of what I'll find.

chillcat said...

Rather arresting! If that doesn't lure them between the covers..