Saturday, 11 December 2010

NO ROOM FOR INTEGRITY

I did a festive-themed interview over at Vulpes Libris the other day where I talk about the loneliness of writing, the thievery of words and pulling crackers with the cat.

A quick update on the novel. It’s had some interest, but with the requisite some changes are made. Now, I could stamp my artistic feet, profess such tinkering would usurp my integrity too much and refuse to make them. Or I could just get on and do it. Which I have been. Mostly. Sometimes you have to listen to Them What Know. I can already see that the book is stronger, but there’s still some way to go. It’s an extraordinarily demanding task at times. For example, I removed one small piece of information from a character, which involved revising every time she mentions it across the story. And have you ever tried culling a character from 300 pages?

Anyway, it’s all good, especially as Them What Know have called it a classy psychological thriller. I’d no idea. Classy, yes – er-hum. But a thriller? Next I’ll be penning cheap hooks at the end of each chapter. Oh well. It’s still a literary thriller as far as I’m concerned.

I wanted to mention my book of the year, but it’s proving rather difficult. And not due to a plethora of contenders. I’ve read some stunning short fiction in 2010, but no stand out novel. One or two threatened, before wilting tamely in the last 50 pages. I’ll have to see.

Well, I hope you are hunkering down nicely for the holidays, that your glasses are full and Santa brings you some wonderful reading. Here's one of the less nauseating festive songs.

3 comments:

Paul said...

Thanx for the link to that Greg Lake video. It's been a long time since I heard that tune.

debutnovelist said...

Ditto from me. One of the few Christmas records not played enough.
Sorry about late comment - enjoying your short fiction discussion too.

AliB

TOM J VOWLER said...

You're welcome, Paul.

Hi Ali. Thanks for stopping by.