Friday, 17 September 2010

NOT FAR FROM PERFECT

I had the pleasure of reading this over the last couple of days. Nik Perring’s delightful collection of 22 short, short stories became a refuge, as it sat by my keyboard, allowing me to dip in whenever the day’s grind took hold. And that’s how I recommend you read it: in the doctor’s surgery, on the bus, during a power cut. Because these wonderfully witty vignettes will quickly whisk you away from life’s mundanity, moving you with their playful and surreal narratives. The tales here are brilliantly timed, often beautiful glimpses of lives we feel may, with the tiniest of tweaks, be our own.

There’s probably a case for making this book compulsory on creative writing courses, to show the aspiring writer what impact can be achieved with brevity, with sparseness - though with no little skill, I should add.

Reading, I was reminded of Jane Gardam – joyous tales that are somehow both poignant and uplifting.

For more about Nik, see here. Not So Perfect is available here.

1 comment:

Lena said...

I'll give this a try. I was always a short story kind of girl.....with lyrical undertones.