Wednesday, 21 July 2010

WRITING TIP #73

I've no idea what happened to the first seventy two.

In an attempt to kick-start the writing day, a good tactic can be to leave composition mid-flow the day before. Not easy to do, but if you can stop mid-sentence/scene, this can save you that agonising period in the morning when your cursor blinks mockingly whilst you tidy your desk again.

But my own favourite is writing a sentence or two, in context, that are so appalling, so excruciatingly cliché-ridden and clumsy, I am forced from any inertia into rapid rewriting, and thus the day begins. Try it.

5 comments:

Yacota Shayne said...

That's a great tip! I may have to utilize it. Thanks.

Harvey said...

Great tip! I'll definitely point my visitors in this direction (from Novel Writing Help)

Actually, I find it's useful to make all of your writing as bad as you can possibly make it - for the first draft, anyway.

If you sit down and try to consciously "write well" then either you come down with writer's block or what you produce sucks (or a bit of both).

Deciding to write badly - because, hey, it's only a draft so no one's going to see it - is quite liberating.

You just get "black on white" and you can worry about turning it into something less embarrassingly awful with the first re-write.

Tania Hershman said...

Excellent tip - but it doesn't demoralize you as you start your day?

Rachel Fenton said...

I'm finding rejections can be an agonising yet weirdly beneficial kick start to my writing day, in an "I bloody will get a sodding agent" sort of wway.

Perhaps your tip may be a gentler way forward....

TOM J VOWLER said...

You're welcome, Yacota. Thanks for stopping by.

Ha, Harvey. I like your thinking.

Tania, as long as it's only a sentence, you're aware it was contrived, it can get the juices flowing.

Rachel, the 'I'll show the world I can write' one is good too.