Saturday, 24 July 2010

A PAUSE IN PROCEEDINGS


I’m off to read at Port Eliot this weekend, then to laze in Provence for a fortnight, where I’m told unlike ours their summer is still occurring.


And so a generous and well organised blogger would have prepared lots of useful and entertaining posts, scheduling them to appear in his absence


So instead, and especially if you are new here (a very good welcome to you), may I direct you the way of some (I hope) interesting pieces and conversations from the past eighteen months.


Here’s an article on dialogue. And something on characterisation. Looking at creative writing courses, do you think people can be taught to write? Why if poetry doesn’t come like leaves to a tree, it probably shouldn’t come at all. A quick flash from a master. Some writerly rules. Can you name these first lines from classic books? On rejection. Finally, here’s a review of my favourite book of recent times.


So, until my return, happy penning.

7 comments:

Paul said...

Send me a postcard!

Francine said...

Hi,

Famous last words and all that: take an umbrella!

Sense the envy?
best
F

Nicola Morgan said...

Tom - have a lovely time. I feel bad that I hadn't realised you'd won the Scott prize - fabulous news. Well done indeed! Nx

Rachel Fenton said...

Sounds like a very cool trip - enjoy!

TOM J VOWLER said...

Did you get it, Paul?

Didn't need one, Francine. Nor the jeans, jumper and walking boots I packed. Tres hot.

Thanks, Nicola. Don't feel bad :)

Niamh B said...

A really enjoyable selection of stuff, thanks for posting it.

TOM J VOWLER said...

You're very welcome, Niamh.