Monday, 19 July 2010

IF AT FIRST...

If you’re in London over the next few weeks, this is showing at the Young Vic. Apparently, McDonagh wrote it in eight days, astonishing if true. We studied it on the MA, looking at in-yer-face theatre. I read it, alone with a glass of wine, in one sitting, and it’s nothing short of brilliant. By turns horrific and hilarious, it launched McDonagh into the big-time.

There’s also a salutary learning to be had here. As an unknown McDonagh moved to London with a burning ambition to be a playwright. He submitted eight (I believe) full-length plays to the BBC, all of which were rejected. Many would quit there, safe in the knowledge they’d given it their best shot, before sidling off into a nine-to-five. Beauty Queen was his ninth.

4 comments:

Jills said...

I would love to see this. Just found the script and the first lines of dialogue drew me right in. Don't know what the UK cover was like or if there was more than one, but the Vintage cover, which was also the 1999 playbill for the production at the Walter Kerr theatre in new york reminds me a bit of the cover of your book.

http://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Queen-Leenane-Other-Plays/dp/0375704876/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279558054&sr=8-1

TOM J VOWLER said...

Ha, Jills. No I hadn't seen that cover; I read Beauty Queen in an anthology. She's (rightly) less glamorous than mine, but similarities, yes.

Makes me want to see more theatre.

Rachel Fenton said...

Perhaps if I have Robert the Bruce as my pen name I'll have more success...

Looks/sounds fascinating...alas, nine year old and two year olds are not condusive to much theatre going, not unless you count swan lake on ice...give me strength..

Anna-Marie said...

Oh I really want to see this now! Alas, I'm too far away from London.
I wish they'd bring some more of the good theatre up north more often. I always think you should watch plays being performed if possible - not read the script. Its not the same at all. Like reading the lyrics of a song instead of hearing the whole composition.
There was some one-on-one theatre on in Battersea that I was desparate to be involved in too, intimate performances for an audience of 1 - but again too far away boohoo. If anyone knows of anything similar in the North East of England please let me know!

http://www.bac.org.uk/whats-on/one-on-one/