Tuesday, 15 June 2010

HIGHLY INFECTED AREA

A few weeks ago I tried to stream some live cricket through some egregious pop-up website. I know. But where I live, it's impossible to watch anything without sticking a large dish on the side of your house. In fact, being a listed cottage, it would have to go in the garden. And besides, being an impoverished writerly sort, I can't afford it.


Anyway, much self-flagellation later, my computer is more infected virally than Robert Carlisle in that gruesome sequel. Nothing works. Pressing anything draws a steady whir from the hard drive, that slowly intensifies until I'm certain faint laughter can be heard. My icons have disappeared. There's no start menu. Safe mode offers minimal usage, but no Interweb. Penning this has taken longer than some stories I've written.

A friend is coming around tonight to inspect the damage, whereupon I suspect we will either a) return it to the factory settings, or b) return it to the ground floor via a first floor window.

In the meantime, have a look at
this very interesting article by a literary agent. A shift in the balance of power perhaps...

4 comments:

eimearryan said...

Oh dears. Have you tried System Restore? That's what I do whenever my Vista-run trundler gets messed up (I too am easily seduced by dodgy streaming, though not cricket).

Rachel Fenton said...

Oh dear - busted aren't you?! Not pleasant - and all for cricket! Hope it was a good match! I've sent two pcs to the graveyard for viral related probs - think they could have been sorted with the right know how but the bond of trust was broken! Hope yours gets sorted asap :)

TOM J VOWLER said...

Yeah, no restore dates, eimearryan.

Thanks, Rachel. My expert friend was here for hours last night, trying all sorts, but no luck. The next option is to save all my files, and return it to the original settings, reloading XP and everything, but the cunning little shit (of a virus) is making even that difficult.

Paul said...

Sorry to hear about this. I use an Apple, and so far, aside from a complete hard drive crash, I haven't had any problems.