Saturday, 30 January 2010

ONE YEAR ON

It was one year ago today I began this blog. Part of my successful Arts Council application commited me to documenting the novel-writing process. I wanted those toying with the idea to get a sense of what was involved, as well as offering advice on aspects of craft, such as dialogue, narrative and exposition.

So far there have been 7,993 visitors (though I expect (and hope) some of you have popped by more than once), viewing a total of 13,598 pages. There have been competitions, interviews, book reviews - but mostly just discussions on this dirty old business of writing.

I am a little behind my target of completing the first draft, but stick with me - I've not far to go. After a couple of weeks of 'leaving it well alone', I'll edit and re-write furiously with a view to submitting to publishers in the spring. Stick around and I'll share the rejection - er, I mean acceptance letters with you.

It's been great to meet so many people - some just passing through, others who've become hardcore stalwarts (cheque's in the post). Writing is a solitary affair, which requires a reasonable level of insanity to maintain over a year. So thank you for all your comments and feedback, and, well, your company really.

13 comments:

Miriam Drori said...

Happy birthday!

CathM said...

Congrats to your year old blog! All the best with your writing targets!

Glynis said...

Happy Blogday!
Good luck with MS.

Donna Hosie said...

Congratulations on the first year. We hope to share in your future good news!

TOM J VOWLER said...

Thanks everyone.

Donna, I see you're reading TSH. How are you finding it? A little slow for me, but beautifully written in parts, very accomplished voice.

Jim W-Cox said...

Goodness me. I've justed created an account on the internet or something. Perhaps only you could stir me into such an action, Tom, as I'm such an IT idiot.
Congratulations on a year as a blogger or bloggist or whatever the term is.

Jim W-Cox said...

Are you there Tom? If so, enlighten me - am I meant to say something nice (dead arm) and leave, or can we converse using this medium?
I suppose it depends on whether we want Glynis, Donna and the gang reading what we write...

TOM J VOWLER said...

Hello JWC. We were in the stag weekend pub today. Tried to pop into Pete and Di's Bizarre, but it was shut!

But yes, say something nice and leave. Ha! After you've clicked to 'follow me' that is.

Love to all the WCs.

Jim W-Cox said...

Hello. My name is Jim Walkley-Cox and I'm a follower of Thomas James Vowler.
Willow is crying so I had better go and check on her...
Love to Al x

Donna Hosie said...

Tom, I've only just started the prologue! I'll come back to you when I've read a little more!

charlotteotter said...

Congratulations on your blog birthday! I'm a bit of a lurker here, but since it's a big day I thought I'd de-lurk.

I'm also a writer, also writing a novel, also blogging about the process, so I've enjoyed your insights.

Best of luck with the next stage!

Guinevere said...

Happy blog birthday! :)

Vanessa Gebbie said...

happy Birthday Blog, and so may congrats on the wonderful irons in the fire... wow. All power to the Vowler vowels... adjectives, nouns and er... this is wearing a bit thin! V