Saturday, 14 November 2009

GOOD TO BE BACK


At last. Finally the fabulously incompetent people who provide my web access have pressed the right button. Only took them four weeks, and the threat of physical violence, to locate it.

So this is where I’m finishing the book. When I posted a picture of my desk before, one of you questioned how I can work facing a wall, which got me thinking. As you can see above, I’ve rectified this. Okay, so it’s not rolling hills and flora as far as the eye can see, but, yes, I’m now a big fan of writing by a window. The eagle eyed of you will also see the cat has found himself a sunny spot that isn’t sitting on the keyboard.

So, what’ve I been doing? Unpacking, mostly. Making the cottage functional. I’ve even done some writing. Anyone a bit stuck with their WIP should try a change of scenery. Moving home might be a little drastic, but why not try a different room. Go into town, work in the library. Try the pub. I certainly felt bogged down a little; mid-manuscript blues, you could call them. But I returned last week with a renewed vigour to write, write, write. I fell back in love with the story. I even found a title. The title. And when it stops raining (9 days and counting), I’m off up the road to the moor where most of my characters live, see what they're up to.

So, thanks for sticking with me. Big apologies for the lack of posts of late. I’ll make up for up. Promise.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you written about getting the Arts Council grant?

I'm American, and recently learned that in the UK writers actually get royalties from public libraries.

I'm stunned and violently jealous.

TOM J VOWLER said...

Yup: http://oldenoughnovel.blogspot.com/search/label/arts%20council%20grant

Paul Lamb said...

I've heard that people who do close work, such as writing at a computer, need to look up across longer distances periodically to rest their eyes. I'm glad you're not up against the wall any longer. (Will you share the perfect title before publication?)

Blake Kimzey said...

Glad to see you back at the keys!

TOM J VOWLER said...

Thanks Paul and Blake.

Titles are funny things. They seem to either appear at the start and remain unchallanged, or need extracting like an obstinate rotten tooth. I'm going to sit on this one for a while, but I expect it will appear on here at some point. Perhaps a blog piece on the subject...