Wednesday, 30 September 2009

FELINE IN RESIDENCE


I've tried everything, honest. Last night's salmon. Catnip toys. Physical removal and door shutting*. But this is where my cat likes to spend hours of each day. Were I superstitious, I might entertain the idea of not continuing with this novel. At one point today I had arms either side of him, in the hope those hours of touch-typing practice at journo school paid off. I'd work in the other room on a laptop were I not convinced he'd come sit on it.

* He just whines and scratches

7 comments:

Barb said...

I feel your pain - I just blogged on the same topic: http://mssbarb.blogspot.com/2009/09/wee-paws.html

Maybe they could meet?

Tere Kirkland said...

My cat thinks the laptop is his buddy-- it's always warm and purring...

I've tried touch typing around him with limited success. Good to know I'm not the only one!

rebecca said...

Interesting. I have three at home that take turns doing this. They plop themselves right in front of the keyboard and if I start typing, they purr and rub themselves against me thereby preventing me from typing. Is it the sound of the keys that they find interesting? Is it that they will not be ignored? :) Don't know.

Paul Lamb said...

Be sure to press SAVE after your cat departs. There may be some good stuff from his keyboard shenanigans.

TOM J VOWLER said...

He's not that sociable, I'm afraid, Barb.

I feel a support group coming on, Tere.

Is it, Rebecca, as Paul says above, that they have their own magnum opus in mind?

This was yesterday's contribution, Paul: eihngas389isassikllllllllllll

Tania Hershman said...

Is there something about writers and cats? Our two are in quarantine for 6 months, and frankly I can't write without them. They don't require me to reach around to get to the keyboard, but just their presence is comforting. Hmmm... more research necessary. Tom - your cat has such a commanding presence, I am not surprised you decided to work around him instead of fighting!

TOM J VOWLER said...

He's a big softly really, T.