Thursday, 27 August 2009

GOING TO PLACES YOU DON'T WANT TO GO


Regular followers of this blog (Hi Dad) will know I really quite liked Gerard Donovan’s third novel, Julius Winsome. I’m going to have to sneak into some of his classes next month when he comes to Plymouth to lecture in creative writing.

I was (still am) hoping to interview him here, but in the meantime he talks in the Irish Times about writing a novel, in particular how it’s the novelist’s job to say things other people won’t.

See what you think.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Fascinating interview. Makes me want to rush out and buy his books.

TOM J VOWLER said...

You'll get to meet him in November if you come up for the Short Fiction launch...

Tania Hershman said...

Ooh, Short Fiction launch? Can we all come?

TOM J VOWLER said...

Of course, Tania. You'll get an invite via Facebook, I expect! And you're only 2 hours up the road now.

Lisa said...

Sounds great! I'm in.