Sunday, 26 July 2009

GRUB'S UP

On the one dry day last week I was up on Dartmoor getting a feel for pubs my characters might frequent. (You have to get these things right, you understand.) Whilst walking the ale off, it became one of those absurd days in nature when something magical happens.

First there was a heron tracking the river south, and then a cormorant not far behind. A raven strutted nearby, swallows dived around me. And then a large dragonfly darted into the sedge, appeared to pick something up, before landing a few yards ahead. When I found it, I noticed it had caught a bumblebee and had started to eat it. It was so involved with its meal, I was able to get really close; I could even hear the slurping and crunching as it devoured the bee.

Here’s a picture. Both fascinating and a little disgusting.

6 comments:

Vanessa Gebbie said...

wow Tom that is a helluva picture!

TOM J VOWLER said...

I know, V. It was both compelling and revolting to watch, as the dragonfly worked furiously.

Avril said...

Great copy for your novel - better even than the pub! I am off out today looking for inspiration,and to get away for a bit from editing my novel- trouble is I'm in the cold north east. Your post made me think how much I miss the south west!

Avril

sexy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TOM J VOWLER said...

We even get two or three days of sun in the summer here, Avril.

Emma said...

What an incredible photo!