Thursday, 16 July 2009

BURN AFTER WRITING

A writing exercise for you.

Fifteen minutes each day: Thoughts. Feelings. Dialogue. Anything.

The only rule: you must destroy it afterwards. Tear it up. Set it alight. Eat it. Doesn’t matter, as long as it ceases to exist.

This way you’ll explore areas/subject matter you might otherwise avoid for fear of others reading it. You’ll free up the self-conscious part, that critical voice that stops us behaving outrageously, absurdly, even malevolently. You’ll write words that dare not utter themselves were they for consumption by others. It’s the equivalent of running deep into the woods, taking your clothes off and screaming Fuck the Queen at the top of your voice, before quietly getting dressed and sneaking home.

Try it.

10 comments:

Nicola Morgan said...

Cool idea! May try that ...

Paloma Chaffinch said...

Dammit. I didn't see you in the woods that day! How mortifying :-)

TOM J VOWLER said...

It can be liberating, Nicola.

I'm rather stealthy, Paloma.

rebecca said...

Hm? I think I will...

Bangkok said...

What a good idea. I've just recently got into trouble because my partner read my journal and found the one mildly critical thing I have written about him all year!
Didn't speak to me for the better part of a week. It has left me feeling weird about writing in the journal and yet I need to - I get a lot out of filling up those blank pages with a freshly sharpened pencil. I shall try your idea too.

TOM J VOWLER said...

That's a very good point, Bangkok (!), and illustrates the exercise perfectly.

Vienna said...

Reminds me of Julia Cameron's 'Morning Pages' (which I find very useful) but I like the final burn! Liberating!

Emma said...

oooh, I like this idea!

dwanderingmind said...

It’s the equivalent of running deep into the woods, taking your clothes off and screaming Fuck the Queen at the top of your voice, before quietly getting dressed and sneaking home.

lol... great idea there. i could almost see myself slinking back home, probably with a huge grin on my face... :)

Anna-Marie said...

Ha ha lol! Fuck the queen? really? I think Freud might have a thing or two to say about that Tom...