Thursday, 19 February 2009

IT'S TIME

I can hold back no longer. The stabilisers are off, the armbands deflated. It’s time to start actually writing. I’d allocated several more weeks to research, character development, plotting…but the creative juices need releasing, lest they leak and stain the carpet. Or worse, turn rancid. Or worse still, dry up.

There comes a point where the obsessive nature of research can feel like progress itself, when in fact not a single word of fiction has been written. I find the desire to explore every facet of every character and possible event like a drug that needs consuming in ever greater amounts to satiate. It can become a cosy distraction, much like writing a blog.

And so today is the day I start to WRITE this novel. There are still gaps in my knowledge that will need filling, plot points to resolve, voices to find, but from now every writing day shall produce the minimum word count of 1,000 – modest, yes, but it’s one I work well to, and it is only a minimum. Failure to achieve this will result in severe self-flagellation. Indeed, you can check up on me with the word count bar over there on the left. Feel free to flagellate me also if necessary.

And so, off I venture into the murky, lonely and absurd world of writing a novel.

13 comments:

NICOLA MORGAN said...

Go, Tom, go! It's a great and scary moment when you write the first paragraph. Of course, you won't read this comment because you are too busy writing your novel .....

TOM J VOWLER said...

Exactly, Nicola. Probably won't even pick up your comment until, say, tonight.

Anne Brooke said...

Good luck, and enjoy! Must admit 1000 words on a writing day is my maximum - if I do any more, I go insane ...

:))

Axxx

Douglas Bruton said...

I see, Tom, that you are responding to comments still. Consider yourself duly flagelated.

Best of luck with the book.

And I see that the counter is still empty.... c'mon, Tom.

From a fellow prevaricater.

Douglas

NICOLA MORGAN said...

Douglas - he's too busy reading our comments to get any words on his counter. He's a real author, I can tell. He's been reading my advice about Work Avoidance Strategies but frankly he could have written the piece himself.

Anne - my record was 11,000. It did drive me insane.

Tom - you realise that when you post a comment, the TIME appears, so we know exactly what time you are not writing your novel.

NICOLA MORGAN said...

Er, having said which, I see that your blog is set at Pacific time or something, and I happen to know you're strictly a GMT man.

TOM J VOWLER said...

Thank you, Anne and Douglas. And that was brilliant, Nicola, pointing out a great W.A.S. in working out how to set my blog to GMT. You'll notice it wasn't entirely successful, in that I managed to fit in some work, too.

NICOLA MORGAN said...

So you did! Well done! I am at the lovely stage of being about to finish a gentle redraft. Don't be jealous ...

Douglas Bruton said...

Good day's work then Tom... you'll be feeling good and itchy for tomorrow to come.

well done

D

Douglas Bruton said...

An even better day today, Tom... just letting you know someone is keeping an eye on you.

well done

D

TOM J VOWLER said...

Thank you, Douglas. Weekends are allocated for research still, so word count unlikely to change until next week. Have a good one.

Tania Hershman said...

Yay, good for you, I see the word count is over 2000 already, nice going!

TOM J VOWLER said...

Thank you, Tania. It feels good to get going.