Friday, 23 January 2009

IF YOU GO DOWN TO THE WOODS TODAY...


Today's research took me to Wistman's Wood on Dartmoor, which is close to a character's home. It's one of only three ancient copses on the moor and is the oldest in Devon. Its gnarled, stunted oaks, verdant fern and lichen engender a mystical, eerie feel, and as you clamber over the sprawling roots and mossy prehistoric boulders, the finger-like branches seem to reach out and grab you.

Apparently, after dark, the Wisht Hounds chase sinners through the woodland.

I also had to research a nearby pub. For authenticity's sake.

8 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Fabulous - research can be fun!

:))

Anne B

NIGHT WATCHMAN said...

I must be a Saint then. Never got chased once during those nocturnal navigation exercises through Wistman's.

TOM J VOWLER said...

Pub research especially, Anne!
:)

TOM J VOWLER said...

Yep, Night Watchman, I have a cunning suspicion the hounds were dreamt up by god-folk to keep their parishioners from temptation. Expect the pagan version is more comforting.

Anonymous said...

Tom,

I clicked the link to 'My Fiction' and the hyperlink has a typo in it. At the end it says ',uk' instead of '.uk'. Thought you should know.

And this is an interesting blog. Will follow with interest.

Blake

TOM J VOWLER said...

So it does, Blake. Thanks for that. Glad you dropped by.

SueG said...

Just wanted to say hi. I've just learned about you from Tania Hershman. Looks like we have lots in common -- I'm working and blogging about my 2nd novel as well. i look forward to reading more of you.

TOM J VOWLER said...

Lovely to meet you, Sue. We do have lots in common, except, that is, our current word count!